In the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, faculty and students examine the biggest questions facing humanity, from climate change to international affairs to personal identity and what it means to be human in the 21st century. The college offers a wide variety of programs in which students learn about the histories, cultures, interactions, motivations, beliefs, fears, stories, and impacts of people around the world, past and present.
The College of SBS prepares students to succeed in an increasingly interconnected world by teaching social and emotional intelligence, an appreciation of cultural and interpersonal differences, the analytical skills to critically assess decisions, and an understanding of societal contexts and environments.
As one of the largest colleges on the UA campus, SBS serves approximately 5,000 undergraduate students through 27 degree programs, which include popular majors such as anthropology, political science, English, journalism, and communication. In addition, 1,300 graduate and professional students are enrolled in SBS schools and departments.
Dean: John Paul Jones, III
- The College of SBS is home to some of the UA’s most prestigious programs. Anthropology, communication, geography and development, linguistics, philosophy, political science, public administration, and sociology are all ranked in the top 25 according the National Research Council. The MFA in non-fiction writing is ranked #2 in the country.
- SBS’s distinguished professors include 16 Regents’ Professors, five Distinguished University Professors, three Distinguished Outreach Professors, three MacArthur “genius” award winners, and numerous Fulbright and Guggenheim fellows.
- The College of SBS is involved in the community in numerous ways, including presenting the Downtown Lecture Series each fall and collaborating with the city of Tucson and local nonprofits to help alleviate poverty in Tucson.
- In SBS, there are many opportunities for hands-on experience: Students can help produce newspapers, participate in archaeological digs, assist with research projects, participate in legislative internship, help with the Community and School Garden Program, and work with criminal justice and social service agencies.
- SBS has several world-class and innovative centers, including the Center for the Philosophy of Freedom, the National Institute for Civil Discourse, and the Center for Compassion Studies.
List of Degrees Awarded
- American Indian Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Anthropology: B.A., B.S., M.A., Ph.D.
- Arabic: B.A.
- Care, Health & Society: B.S.
- Communication: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Criminal Justice: B.S.
- Development Practice: M.A.
- Economics: B.A.
- English: B.A., M.A.; Creative Writing: B.A., MFA; English Language/Linguistics: M.A.; Literature: M.A., Ph.D.; Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English (RCTE): M.A., Ph.D.
- Gender and Women’s Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Geography: B.A., B.S., M.A., Ph.D.; Environmental Studies: B.A.; Urban & Regional Development, B.S.
- Geographic Information Systems Technology: M.S.
- History: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Information and eSociety: B.A.; Information Science and Arts: B.A.; Information Science and Technology: B.S.; Library and Information Science: M.A.; Information: M.S., Ph.D.
- Journalism: B.A., M.A.
- Judaic Studies: B.A.
- Latin American Studies: B.A., M.A.
- Law: B.A.
- Linguistics: B.A., M.A. Ph.D.; Native American Linguistics and Languages: M.A.; Human Language Technology: M.S.
- Mexican American Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Middle Eastern and North African Studies: B.A., M.A.., Ph.D.
- Philosophy: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics & Law: B.A.
- Political Science: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.; Public Management and Policy: B.S.; Public Administration: M.P.A.; Public Policy: M.P.P.; International Security, M.A. (online only)
- Sociology: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- David Dewhurst, Lt. Governor of Texas, History
- Richard Gilman, former publisher of the Boston Globe, Journalism
- Savannah Guthrie, co-host of the NBC Today Show, Journalism
- Dan Hicks, sportscaster for NBC, Journalism
- Greg Kinnear, actor, Journalism
- Woody Johnson, owner of the NY Jets, History
- Jon Kyl, U.S. Senator, Government
- Jim Kolbe, former U.S. Representative, Political Science
- Richard Russo, Pulitzer Prize winning author and screenwriter, B.A. English, MFA Creative Writing, Ph.D. English
- David Foster Wallace, novelist and essayist, MFA Creative Writing