In the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, faculty and students study people and their interactions with each other and the world, searching for answers to some of the biggest questions facing humanity, from climate change to international affairs to what it means to be human in the 21st century. The college offers a wide variety of programs in which students learn about the histories, cultures, interactions, beliefs, stories, and impacts of people around the world, past and present.
The College of SBS prepares students to succeed in an increasingly interconnected world by teaching social and emotional intelligence, an appreciation of cultural and interpersonal differences, the analytical skills to critically assess decisions, and an understanding of societal contexts and environments.
As one of the largest colleges on the University of Arizona campus, SBS serves approximately 6,400 undergraduate students through more than 30 degree programs, which include popular majors such as criminal justice, political science, communication, law, and journalism. In addition, 1,100 graduate and professional students are enrolled in SBS schools and departments.
Dean: Lori Poloni-Staudinger
- The College of SBS is home to some of UArizona’s most prestigious programs. Anthropology, communication, geography, library and information science, linguistics, nonfiction creative writing, philosophy, political science, public administration, and sociology are all ranked in the top 25.
- SBS’s distinguished professors include 15 Regents Professors, four Distinguished Outreach Professors, two MacArthur “genius” award winners, and numerous Fulbright and Guggenheim fellows.
- The College of SBS is involved in the community in numerous ways, including presenting the Downtown Lecture Series each fall and collaborating with local nonprofits to help alleviate poverty in Tucson.
- In SBS, there are many opportunities for hands-on experience: Students can help produce newspapers, participate in archaeological digs, assist with research projects, participate in legislative internship, help with the Community and School Garden Program, and work with criminal justice and social service agencies.
List of Degrees Awarded
- American Indian Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Anthropology: B.A., B.S., M.A., Ph.D.
- Arabic: B.A.
- Care, Health & Society: B.S.
- Communication: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Criminal Justice Studies: B.S.
- Development Practice: M.A.
- English: B.A., M.A.; Creative Writing: B.A., MFA; English Language/Linguistics: M.A.; Literature: M.A., Ph.D.; Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English (RCTE): M.A., Ph.D.
- Game Design and Development: B.S.; Games and Behavior: B.A.
- Gender and Women’s Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Geography: B.A., B.S., M.A., Ph.D.; Environmental Studies: B.A.; Urban & Regional Development: B.S.
- Food Studies: B.A.
- Geographic Information Systems Technology: M.S.
- Global Studies: B.A.
- History: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Human Rights Practice: B.A., M.A.
- Information Science and eSociety: B.A.; Information Science and Arts: B.A.; Information Science and Technology: B.S.; Library and Information Science: M.A.; Data Science: M.S.; Information: M.S., Ph.D.
- Journalism: B.A., M.A.; Bilingual Journalism: M.A.
- Judaic Studies: B.A.
- Latin American Studies: B.A., M.A.
- Law: B.A.
- Linguistics: B.A., M.A. Ph.D.; Native American Linguistics and Languages: M.A.; Human Language Technology: M.S.
- Mexican American Studies: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Middle Eastern and North African Studies: B.A., M.A.., Ph.D.
- Philosophy: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics & Law: B.A.
- Political Science: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.; Public Management and Policy: B.S.; Public Administration: M.P.A.; Public Policy: M.P.P.; International Security, M.A.
- Program Design and Evaluation: M.A.
- Professional and Technical Writing: B.A.
- Sociology: B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
- Studies of Global Media: B.A., M.A.
- David Dewhurst, Lt. Governor of Texas, History
- Richard Gilman, former publisher of the Boston Globe, Journalism
- Savannah Guthrie, co-host of the NBC Today Show, Journalism
- Dan Hicks, sportscaster for NBC, Journalism
- Greg Kinnear, actor, Journalism
- Woody Johnson, owner of the NY Jets, History
- Jon Kyl, U.S. Senator, Government
- Jim Kolbe, former U.S. Representative, Political Science
- Richard Russo, Pulitzer Prize winning author and screenwriter, B.A. English, MFA Creative Writing, Ph.D. English
- David Foster Wallace, novelist and essayist, MFA Creative Writing