College of Pharmacy

Established in 1947, the College of Pharmacy was the first health professions college at the University of Arizona.  Now regarded as one of the premier colleges of pharmacy in the nation, the college admits up to 100 students each year to the four-year doctor of pharmacy degree program, which prepares highly qualified pharmacists for the nation’s healthcare workforce. The college also offers master’s and PhD degrees in the pharmaceutical sciences and in pharmacology and toxicology, preparing scientists in drug discovery and development, pharmacoeconomics, environmental toxicology and other disciplines.

The College of Pharmacy also has administrative offices at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, and plans academic programs there as the campus develops. Pharmacy students complete clinical learning experiences throughout the State of Arizona, with approximately 40 students doing rotations in the greater Phoenix area.

Dean: J. Lyle Bootman, Ph.D.


College Features

Within the College of Pharmacy are the following centers:

  • Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center, a 24/7 hotline answering approximately 70,000 calls annually regarding poisonings, envenomation and medication use.
  • Center for Toxicology, including the Southwest Environmental Health Sciences Center, the UA Superfund Basic Research Program and the U.S.-Mexico Binational Center for Environmental Sciences and Technology.
  • Center for Health Outcomes and PharmacoEconomic Research, focusing on cost-effectiveness of drug therapies, pharmaceutical policy analysis and drug-use evaluation.
  • Medication Management Center, a first-of-its-kind center providing medication counseling and other services to Medicare patients.


College Statistics

Degrees Awarded:

  • PharmD (doctor of pharmacy)
  • Master of Science
  • PhD (doctor of philosophy)


Enrollment 2009-2010

  • PharmD: 374
  • MS & PhD: 78
Website: Primary Address:
1295 N. Martin Ave.
Drachman Hall-Pulido Center
Tucson, AZ 85721
United States
Mailing Address:
United States
Phone Number:
(520) 626-1427
Fax:
(520) 626-4063