Richard F. Caris Mirror Laboratory

A world leader in the development, design and fabrication of mirrors for many of the major telescopes around the globe, the Steward Observatory Mirror Lab had its beginning with a backyard experiment by founder and director Dr. Roger Angel. Curious about the suitability of borosilicate glass (used in ovenware) for making honeycombed structures, he tested the idea by fusing two custard cups together. In 1985 the Mirror Lab moved to the facility under the east wing of Arizona Stadium. Tours are available with advance arrangements. For information call 621-1022.

Primary Address: 
527 N National Championship Dr
Tucson, AZ 85721
United States
Building Manager(s): 
Karen Kenagy